May 25, 2011

May

A lovely warm evening at Udkaeret, drawing a male pintail sleeping on the water. He was really far away, but I think that actually helps when you're drawing birds. His neck markings and the reflections made some really interesting shapes... Lots of interesting birds this month. A white stork dropped by, a little tern, and a clear view of a goshawk for several minutes. The cranes are breeding again and all is good on the island.





I love May. I really love May. Everything new and fresh, birds singing, flowers everywhere. I've managed to get out quite a bit and have filled a sketchbook in no time. My studio is finshed, so no excuses now, my mind is brimming over with ideas and plans. The other night I went to Bastemose (a local marshy area 30 min on the bike) to do some sketching. There were four falcons hawking dragonflys. Hobbies I thought, and three of them were, but one of them was actually a young male red-footed falcon. I watched all four of them for a couple of hours as they flew back and forth, seemingly catching their prey at will. Above were swallows and martens, and the frist swifts of the year, all keeping a wide birth. Water rail, cuckoo, crane, reed warbler all calling and singing. Marsh harriers flying about. Brilliant. Sat there with a beer in the evening sun. I made loads of sketches, but dissapointing. I will be back.












More random sketches... From nexoe beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment